the different types of dogs collars.
How to choose the right collar for my dog? You must choose according to their needs or the dog’s behavior to correct. We are going to explain how each collar works according to their utilities and their recommendated usage. We will also discuss the pros and cons of using bark collars.
The differences between a bark collar and training dog control collars.
We will explain to you the method of usage, the advices, and the recommendations for using these two necklaces. We strongly recommend that you try dog training methods before using the anti-bark collars. Ultimately, if you choose to use a bark collar, you need to use it responsibly and safely. However, if it is well used, depending on the causes of the behaviors to be eliminated and paired with other techniques, this tool can prove to be very useful and effective.
How does a bark limiter work?
The collar has several modes of operation, including shocks, vibrations, citronella spay or ultrasound. The modes can be paired on the collar or separated according to your needs. There are automatic models and intelligent, so you don’t need to intervene with your dog. They are useful for stopping a barking behavior in dogs.
Dog shock collar mode:
The microphone detects the noise or vibration of the vocal cords when the dog barks. Then, a shock from low to high intensity is issued to the dog’s neck by two electrodes located on the collar.
Vibration bark collar mode:
It works the same as the electric mode, but it sends a low to high vibration to the dog’s neck.
Dog spray collar mode:
Citronella spray so it disturbs his sense of smell. The model spray needs some spare cartridges.
Ultrasonic bark collar mode:
Ultrasonic dog bark control a high-pitched sound imperceptible to humans, but irritating to dogs.
There are intelligent systems bark Control for indoor (8 meters) or outside (15 meters). The device automatically emits the ultrasound and does not require a collar.
Recommendations for the use of anti-bark collars:
- Choose better quality collars that have more advanced technologies of bark detection systems, long lasting rechargeable batteries, graduated intensity modes and an emergency stop function.
- Don’t use the bark control collar for puppies less than 6 months old.
- You must choose the model according to the weight of the animal and never under 8 pounds.
- Some dogs have deafness, cognitive problems or brain disease which justifies their excessive barking, so barking collars should never be used if your dog has a medical condition. Also, never use the bark collar if your dog suffers from anxiety or fear.
- Check your dog’s neck after each use to make sure there are no injury.
- You must leave the bark collar on for short periods of time, never for the entire day.
- This bark control collar must not be used for walking.
- You need to monitor your dog during the first uses, to ensure that he reacts correctly to the stimulation of the collar.
- You must prioritize the models that have a security function. If the dog doesn’t stop barking or gets angry, some types of collars will go into safety mode and stop.
- Since dogs react differently to the stimuli of these anti-barking collars, complete eradiction of barking cannot be guaranteed, whichever model you choose.
How does a training collar work?
The dog training remote control collar contains the shock mode, vibration and ultrasonic sound. The controller can be simple with a few options or more complex. You can choose a multi-dog model and intervene remotely with your dogs according to your needs. The beep, vibration and shock modes can be chosen according to the desired intensity. It can be a rechargeable collars or rechargeable batteries. Certain models come with several sizes of electrodes that you can choose according to the animal’s body and coat (short or long).
You can use the trainning collar to stop different bad behavior of the observed dog, for example: running away, jumping on people, biting, digging, yapping, barking and destroying objects.
Some model use a remote without collar, which sends a sound to the dog to motivate him to have a good behavior at a distance.
Recommendations for the use of trainning dog collars:
- The remote dog training collar saves you efforts as it guarantees better communication with your dog from a distance. It also saves you money, because the price of the products is less expensive than the services of a canine professional. It also saves you time when you modify your pet’s behavior.
- You must leave the training collar on for short periods of time, never for the entire day.
- Keep out of children’s reach. Only adults can use it. Some even have a lock mode to avoid accidental use.
- You must have perfect timing when you press the remote and when you observe the behavior of the dog to be eliminated. The dog should associate the behavior to be suppressed when receiving unpleasant stimulation.
- You always choose a model according to the distance between your dog and you when you work with him (exemple: 300m or 550m).
- You can intervene with several dogs on a controller depending on the chosen model .
Some people ask if bark collars are inhumane ?
Of course, the answer depends on your values and your respective needs (money and time) to decrease your dog’s barking. The collars are not made to hurt an animal, but to make him feel an unpleasant sensation to motivate him to obey or eliminate a behavior. The collars must be chosen according to the behaviour to be eliminated, the temperament of the dogs (soft or stubborn), the weight and the age of the animal. You have to choose the right correction and the right intensity to avoid making it suffer. It is suggested to try on your hand the chosen sensation and see if you feel a slight discomfort. It is the master’s responsibility to use this tool properly and to see to the well-being of his animal by observing the signs of tolerance. Discover the pros and cons of bark collars .
You must use it as recommended for the respect of your animal and to preserve your friendly relationship with him.
Take a look at the professional advice of the pros:
- Manufacturer’s necklace certify that their products are safe for animal. The Electronic Collar Manufacturers Association(ECMA), which is based in Brussels, Belgium, was created in March 2004, ensures that animal welfare is respected through the design of safe collars.
Take a look at the professional advice of the cons:
- Many canine and veterinarian professionals do not recommend the use of these devices for fear of harming the animal, or further stressing it. They opt for positive training methods, or private counseling to help the person better understand and discipline their dog.
- Also the ASPCA considers them inhumane and never to be used.
- Some countries have banned the use of electric collars, they think it’s bad for dogs
You must choose the model of your dog’s collar according to your needs, to the behavior and to the models available on the market to help you better manage your animal on a daily basis. The humane society talks about the different collars and does some prevention on the use depending on the well-being of the dog.